Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Why I like Catalyst

One of the highlights of my year is the 2 days I spend in Atlanta with a group of leaders from our church at the Catalyst Conference. It's fun, creative, though provoking and incredibly challenging, and I know that as a leader who loves to learn and wrestle with new ideas, few things compare to it for me personally. This was my fifth year at Catalyst and I will continue to go as long as I can hitch a ride to Atlanta.

I'm sure not everyone feels the same way about Catalyst. I can even say I understand why some people might not like it. That's not a problem for me, just like I hope it's not a problem for you that I like it. We all learn and get refreshed in different places and times and Catalyst does it for me. The 'what' and 'where' aren't nearly as important as the fact that it happens. Even Jesus had places and times that he would get away to quiet places that gave God an opportunity to stir inside of him, and when he would come back it was on!

As has been the case the last few years, God met me in a very real and spoke to me in such a way that even I wouldn't be able to miss it. Two years ago, someone gave me a passage to think about before going to Catalyst. That scripture was directly referenced in three separate sessions. Last year I was dealing with some pretty challenging things and the message was clear - God is there, don't give up, better things are ahead if I hold on. This year I came with a few prominent themes already on my mind - mentoring, discipline, and solitude. Then all day Thursday and Friday I heard different pastors and leaders share about three things - mentoring, discipline, and solitude.

So for the next couple of weeks or so I'm going to be sharing some thoughts on these three ideas and reflect on some of the more meaningful things I heard last week. You can still expect to see posts regularly on Wednesdays and Fridays, but don't be surprised if you see a few more scattered in there as well.  Just like with Catalyst or any other conference, retreat, book, podcast, or whatever you keep going back to, I hope you like it; but if you don't that's ok. There's lots of good stuff out there. Find what speaks to you, what inspires you, and keep going back.

What is your "Catalyst?"

2 comments:

  1. Deborah, there will always be a spot for you on the bus. And by that I mean that you are always invited to Catalyst AND that there is always a place for you on my Jim Collins bus.

    ReplyDelete